Saturday, April 25, 2009

Windows 2008 Server install problems - 0x800706F8

“Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x800706F8”

I originally installed Server 2008 from XP and installed it on a different partition and everything worked fine. However, I nuked the machine as I wanted to get rid of the XP Partition and I accidently lost the MBR (Master Boot Record).

So after trying to install Vista directly from the DVD. I kept getting the message above.

After a lot of research it ended up being that a Samsung SD-604 DVD has problems without the correct device drivers. However it was not listed here.

So the trick is to boot off the DVD and get to Boot Strap to recognise all your drives. Then say that you are going to repair your machine and navigate to the Command Prompt. Copy the DVD onto a folder called E:\Windows2008Setup and then install it from this command prompt.

Some other useful things I learnt were

No comments: